Love One Another
Here is a summary of what we we will learning in class this spring term B:
In our religion lessons we shall be helping the children to develop a knowledge and understanding of the importance of forgiveness. We shall also be exploring the choices that children make and we shall be developing the children's understanding of the need to say sorry when bad choices are made.
We shall be developing the children's knowledge and understanding of Lent as a time of change and of growing to be more like Jesus by following his example.
We shall be learning about the important events of Holy Week and how they tell of the last days of Jesus' life on earth, particularly the events of Palm Sunday, the Last Supper and the Stations of the Cross.
Our topic in Literacy this term is Fairy Tales. We will be reading a number of books, starting with Jack and the Beanstalk which will encourage children to explore the features of fairy tales. They will be learning how to recap and sequence a story and we will be using puppets to retell the tales. We shall be continuing our work on punctuation, focussing on the use of speech marks, exclamation marks and question marks. We will be learning how to write a set of instructions for Little Red Riding Hood and will also be researching information about castles. In phonics the class will be developing their knowledge and use of phase 5 blend sounds.
- Recognise odd and even numbers up to 100.
- Find half, quarter and three quarters of shapes.
- Find and begin to know doubles to at least double 20.
- Read and write times to the hour - tell the time (o'clock and half past) on analogue and digital clocks,
- Place value in two digit numbers and then in relation to money.
- Observe changes across all four seasons.
- Observe and describe weather associated with the seasons and how day length varies.
- Look at tools used to investigate the weather.
We will be drawing castles using MS Paint and adding text labels. Children will also be adding photographs to drawings and drawing our favourite toys.
Geography and History
- Learn about castles and medieval times including the features of a castle, jobs around the castle and knights.
- Learn about William the Conqueror.
- Understand why William came to England.
- Make a poster about the Battle of Hastings
DT and Art
- Children will design and make their own flag for a castle.
- Create a shield and coat of arms for a knight.
- Fairy Tales Day - lots of art based activities and games.
PE will is on a Tuesday and Wednesday – please ensure children have their PE kits in school.
Any queries please email us or make an appointment via the school office.
Mrs Pritchard and Mrs Lockett (Year 1 teachers)